Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. ~Hebrews 11:1 (KJV)
The Amplified Bible translates Hebrews 11:1 into this: Now faith is the assurance (the confirmation, the title-deed) of the things [we] hope for, being the proof of things [we] do not see and the conviction of their reality [faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses].
Faith is a necessity in this life. Habakkuk 2:4 says, Look at the proud; his soul is not straight or right within him, but the [rigidly] just and the [uncompromisingly] righteous man shall live by his faith and in his faithfulness. Romans 10:17 tells us that faith comes by hearing. It also says that hearing comes by means of the word of God.
There are many examples of faith throughout the Gospels. People received forgiveness, healing and deliverance through faith. Jesus told the people to have faith and he demonstrated the power of God through faith. We also see what is available to us by faith.
Jesus told the people to have faith.
- Matthew 21:21-Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.
- Mark 5:36-As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, He saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Be not afraid, only believe.
- Mark 11:22-And Jesus, replying, said to them, Have faith in God [constantly].
Because of their faith in God, many people had their sins forgiven, their bodies healed, or they were delivered from demons.
- The leper was healed because of his faith. (Matthew 8:1-3)
- The centurion soldier’s servant was healed because of the centurion’s faith (Matthew 8:8-10; Luke 7:1-10)
- The man who was sick of palsy had his sins forgiven and he was healed because of his faith. (Matthew 9:2-8; Mark 2:3-12; Luke 5:17-25)
- A woman who had bled for twelve years was healed because of her faith. (Matthew 9:20-22; Mark 5:25-34; Luke 8:43-48)
- A ruler’s daughter was raised from the dead because of her father’s faith. (Matthew 9:18-19, 9:23-25; Mark 5:22-24, 35-43; Luke 8:41-42)
- Two blind men were healed at the same time because of their faith. (Matthew 9:27-31, 20:30-34; Mark 10:46-52; Luke 18:35-43)
- A girl was delivered from a demon because of the faith of her mother. (Matthew 15:22-28)
- A sinner woman’s sins were forgiven and she was saved because of her faith. (Matthew 26:7-13; Luke 7:36-50)
- Ten lepers were healed because of their faith. (Luke 17:11-19)
- A crippled man was healed because of his faith. (Acts 14:8-10)
- Multitudes were healed at the same time because of their faith. (Matthew 12:15; Matthew 14:14; Matthew 19:2; Luke 6:19)
Miracles were performed by Jesus to demonstrate the power of faith in God.
- Jesus cursed the fig tree because it did not properly bear fruit. He said to His disciples, Have faith in God. For verily I say unto you that whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed and be thou cast into the sea, and shall not doubt in his heart but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass, he shall have whatsoever he saith. Therefore I say unto you, what things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. (Matthew 21:19-22; Mark 11:20-24)
We must have faith.
- We don’t have to worry about what we will eat, drink or wear. (Matthew 6:25-32; Luke 12:22-30)
- We don’t have to be afraid of storms. (Matthew 8:24-27; Mark 4:37-41; Luke 8:22-25)
- We can walk in the same power as Jesus. (Matthew 14:28-31)
- We will be led by the Holy Spirit and not be deceived by false doctrines. (Matthew 7:15-16; Matthew 16:6-8)
- With prayer and fasting, we will cast out demons. (Matthew 17:14-21; Mark 9:14-29; Luke 9:38-42)
- We can move mountains. (Matthew 17:20; Luke 17:6)
- All things are possible to us. (Mark 9:23)
- We are saved by grace through faith. (Acts 26:18)
- His master said to him, Well done, you upright (honorable, admirable) and faithful servant! You have been faithful and trustworthy over a little; I will put you in charge of much. Enter into and share the joy (the delight, the blessedness) which your master enjoys. (Matthew 25:21, 23)
- And will not [our just] God defend and protect and avenge His elect (His chosen ones), who cry to Him day and night? Will He defer them and delay help on their behalf? I tell you, He will defend and protect and avenge them speedily. However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find [persistence in] faith on the earth? (Luke 18:7-8)
- And he who believes in (has faith in, clings to, relies on) the Son has (now possesses) eternal life. But whoever disobeys (is unbelieving toward, refuses to trust in, disregards, is not subject to) the Son will never see (experience) life, but [instead] the wrath of God abides on him. [God’s displeasure remains on him; His indignation hangs over him continually.] (John 3:36)
- Jesus replied, This is the work (service) that God asks of you: that you believe in the One Whom He has sent [that you cleave to, trust, rely on, and have faith in His Messenger]. (John 6:29)
- I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, he who believes in Me [who adheres to, trusts in, relies on, and has faith in Me] has (now possesses) eternal life. (John 6:47)
- And His name, through and by faith in His name, has made this man whom you see and recognize well and strong. [Yes] the faith which is through and by Him [Jesus] has given the man this perfect soundness [of body] before all of you. (Acts 3:16)
- It was to demonstrate and prove at the present time (in the now season) that He Himself is righteous and that He justifies and accepts as righteous him who has [true] faith in Jesus. (Romans 3:26)
- But the man who has doubts (misgivings, an uneasy conscience) about eating, and then eats [perhaps because of you], stands condemned [before God], because he is not true to his convictions and he does not act from faith. For whatever does not originate and proceed from faith is sin [whatever is done without a conviction of its approval by God is sinful]. (Romans 14:23)
- But without faith it is impossible to please and be satisfactory to Him. For whoever would come near to God must [necessarily] believe that God exists and that He is the rewarder of those who earnestly and diligently seek Him [out]. (Hebrews 11:6)
- And He did not do many works of power there, because of their unbelief (their lack of faith in the divine mission of Jesus).
- And He was not able to do even one work of power there, except that He laid His hands on a few sickly people [and] cured them. And He marveled because of their unbelief (their lack of faith in Him). And He went about among the surrounding villages and continued teaching. (Mark 6:5-6)
- Therefore if you have not been faithful in the [case of] unrighteous mammon (deceitful riches, money, possessions), who will entrust to you the true riches? And if you have not proved faithful in that which belongs to another [whether God or man], who will give you that which is your own [that is, the true riches]? (Luke 16:11-12)
Because God is faithful, we can put all of our faith in Him.
- Know, recognize, and understand therefore that the Lord your God, He is God, the faithful God, Who keeps covenant and steadfast love and mercy with those who love Him and keep His commandments, to a thousand generations…(Deuteronomy 7:9)
- He is the Rock, His work is perfect, for all His ways are law and justice. A God of faithfulness without breach or deviation, just and right is He. (Deuteronomy 32:4)
- For the word of the Lord is right; and all His work is done in faithfulness. (Psalm 33:4)
- Your mercy and loving-kindness, O Lord, extend to the skies, and Your faithfulness to the clouds. (Psalm 36:5)
- My faithfulness and My mercy and loving-kindness shall be with him, and in My name shall his horn be exalted [great power and prosperity shall be conferred upon him]. (Psalm 89:24)
- My mercy and loving-kindness will I keep for him forevermore, and My covenant shall stand fast and be faithful with him. (Psalm 89:28)
- Nevertheless, My loving-kindness will I not break off from him, nor allow My faithfulness to fail [to lie and be false to him]. (Psalm 89:33)
- [Then] He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings shall you trust and find refuge; His truth and His faithfulness are a shield and a buckler. (Psalm 91:4)
- For the Lord is good; His mercy and loving-kindness are everlasting, His faithfulness and truth endure to all generations. (Psalm 100:5)
- For His mercy and loving-kindness are great toward us, and the truth and faithfulness of the Lord endure forever. Praise the Lord! (Hallelujah!) (Psalm 117:2)
- God is faithful (reliable, trustworthy, and therefore ever true to His promise, and He can be depended on); by Him you were called into companionship and participation with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. (1 Corinthians 1:9)
- For no temptation (no trial regarded as enticing to sin), [no matter how it comes or where it leads] has overtaken you and laid hold on you that is not common to man [that is, no temptation or trial has come to you that is beyond human resistance and that is not adjusted and adapted and belonging to human experience, and such as man can bear]. But God is faithful [to His Word and to His compassionate nature], and He [can be trusted] not to let you be tempted and tried and assayed beyond your ability and strength of resistance and power to endure, but with the temptation He will [always] also provide the way out (the means of escape to a landing place), that you may be capable and strong and powerful to bear up under it patiently. (1 Corinthians 10:13)
We need to be faithful to God.
- Only fear the Lord and serve Him faithfully with all your heart; for consider how great are the things He has done for you. (1 Samuel 12:24)
- The Lord rewards every man for his righteousness and his faithfulness; for the Lord delivered you into my hands today, but I would not stretch forth my hand against the Lord’s anointed. (1 Samuel 26:23)
- You found his heart faithful before You, and You made the covenant with him to give his descendants the land of the Canaanite, Hittite, Amorite, Perizzite, Jebusite, and Girgashite. And You have fulfilled Your promise, for You are just and righteous. (Nehemiah 9:8)
- O love the Lord, all you His saints! The Lord preserves the faithful, and plentifully pays back him who deals haughtily. (Psalm 31:23)
- Trust (lean on, rely on, and be confident) in the Lord and do good; so shall you dwell in the land and feed surely on His faithfulness, and truly you shall be fed. (Psalm 37:3)
- My eyes shall [look with favor] upon the faithful of the land, that they may dwell with me; he who walks blamelessly, he shall minister to me. (Psalm 101:6)
- A faithful man shall abound with blessings, but he who makes haste to be rich [at any cost] shall not go unpunished. (Proverbs 28:20)
- For I the Lord love justice; I hate robbery and wrong with violence or a burnt offering. And I will faithfully give them their recompense in truth, and I will make an everlasting covenant or league with them. (Isaiah 61:8)
- So that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men (human philosophy), but in the power of God. (1 Corinthians 2:5)
- Moreover, it is [essentially] required of stewards that a man should be found faithful [proving himself worthy of trust]. (1 Corinthians 4:2)
God turns away from faithlessness.
- And He said, I will hide My face from them, I will see what their end will be; for they are a perverse generation, children in whom is no faithfulness. (Deuteronomy 32:20)
Duties of the faithful:
- He who goes about as a talebearer reveals secrets, but he who is trustworthy and faithful in spirit keeps the matter hidden. (Proverbs 11:13)
- Lying lips are extremely disgusting and hateful to the Lord, but they who deal faithfully are His delight. (Proverbs 11:22)
- A wicked messenger falls into evil, but a faithful ambassador brings healing. (Proverbs 13:17)
- A faithful witness will not lie, but a false witness breathes out falsehoods. (Proverbs 14:5)
- Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are lavish and deceitful. (Proverbs 27:6)
Your mercy, O Lord, is in the heavens; Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds. ~Psalm 36:5